The last two evenings have been unexpectedly busy visiting with friends and neighbours, which means I missed my Wednesday run and did not get to make up for it last night. As a result, what is supposed to be a rest day in the training plan will now include a 4 mile run after work.
I am so looking forward to it! Even if it is blazing hot (which it’s supposed to be) and I will probably melt in the heat (definitely going to happen) I will still strap on the shoes and hit the trail.
My fingers are crossed that there is a strong breeze off the river tonight.
I figured this running Friday required a new recipe. I mentioned my Roasted Beet & Lentil Salad in my first WIAW post a couple of weeks ago. I know you have all been patiently waiting for the recipe (hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge) so I’m going to finally share it with you.
Our garden is exploding with produce this year and I am always trying to come up with new ways to eat all the veggies. I love beets, and we have plenty of them, but a girl can only pickle so many beets. I came up with this recipe at the same time I had leftover rice and lentils in the fridge and a bunch of beets on my counter.
It’s light and refreshing.
Perfect as a side dish yet substantial enough to serve on it’s own for lunch or a light dinner.
Roasted Beet & Lentil Salad
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 cups beets, cubed and roasted
- 1 cup beet greens, finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil (for roasting beets)
- 6 tbsp avocado oil
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 roasted garlic cloves (roast with beets)
- 1 tbsp fresh dill seed
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cube beets. Toss beets and 3 garlic cloves with 1 tsp olive oil. Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment (for easy clean-up) and roast in oven for 20-30 minutes until beets are soft and garlic is golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small food processor or blender and process until it reaches a semi-smooth consistency (this will depend on the power of your blender or food processor so don’t worry if there are still pieces of chives or dill seed.) Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lentils, rice, beets greens and beets.
- Add in the dressing and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Adjust salt and pepper as required.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least an hour do the flavours can blend together. Serve and enjoy!
This salad is great the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that. The raw beet greens hold up well and don’t become soggy like other greens are prone to do. The dill seed gives this salad a one-two punch of dill flavour that we love.
If you are vegan/nonvegan like we are (vegan food with a side of meat) then serve this with some roasted chicken or fish – delish!
If you are looking for a yummy sweet recipe please go check out the Chocolate Chunk Toffee Bars over at Oh She Glows. This is our new go-to granola bar recipe! I substituted the brown rice syrup with agave, peanuts instead of walnuts, and added in 1/3 cup coconut flour and they turned out perfect. The Doozer stole one from the plate I was trying to photograph so this picture of him eating one will have to do
Happy Friday everyone!